RE: Need sugestions if I should repair my 84 or get a new car(long)

Another negative aspect of Hondas - have you ever worked on one?  A
co-worker has an '86 Accord that ran out of water, so I took on the task of
replacing the head gasket for him (turned out there were cracks in the head
in 2 cylinders, so he has a rebuilt head too).  While they are noted for
reliability, you would definitely miss the VW when something did break
because they are very hard to work on.  Everything on the engine is in the
way of everything else, so you can't get to anything.  The oil filter is
under the intake manifold, so just to change the oil you have to put the car
up and crawl all the way under the car.  You would definitely appreciate the
VW after you worked on a Honda.

I agree with others who have responded that a well-kept VW is extremely
reliable.  My Scirocco (which I bought for $300) was pretty reliable when I
got it, even though it was fairly neglected over its life.  Now that I've
put some time and effort into it (along with a little cash, much less than
the $2k that you mentioned), it's incredibly reliable.  Before the weather
gets too cold for my motorcycle, I'm going to get my JH motor swapped in,
and although the car I pulled it from was terribly neglected, the engine is
in incredible shape - compression is within 5 psi in all 4 cylinders, and it
doesn't burn any oil or anything.  I had a similar experience with my
Beetle - kind of shaky when I got it, but ultra-reliable once I got a handle
on the mechanicals.

Keep the VW, and avoid the new car payments that, as someone mentioned, will
never end.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco