Re: someone needs qualified help : thrust bearing problem

Dirk,

The thrust bearing he is talking about is actually the rear main bearing, on
this bearing the surface wraps around the journal end cap.
Look at the attached picture the large bearing to the left, what this does
is reduce the amount of crankshaft walk. Yes these will go bad after a
period of time, just think about how many times you use your clutch a day
when driving the car and the amount of force that is necessary to disengauge
the clutch. All that force is transfered to that load area on the rear
bearing , so is it common for a vehicle with 150K or poor maintainence to
fail I would say yes. Also the amount of play he is talking about could
cause other failures on the bottom end.

HTH

Brian

87 16v