backfire & timing for 16v

Replaced the distributor cap and rotor for the 16v the
other day. Under heavy acceleration the car would
backfire. I shut the car down open the hood. I noticed
the two of the spark plug wires were touching the
intake manifold, so I adjusted them. I took out the
distributor cap and rotor, cleaned them up a little
and put them back up. The problem was fixed. Maybe
some arcing going on here?

Furthermore, does anyone out there have tips for
adjusting the timing on a 16v Scirocco. I just bought
a new induction timing light and multimeter as further
armament against greedy mechanics. The 16v looks like
a beast to time. Lots of stuff in the way. The Bentley
manual makes mention of a special VW tool to be used
for timing. Does this tool make things easier?

Jorel