RE: R/C suggestion

Sorry for the late response, I sent this once but it didn't go
through for some reason.

One of the many things I do for a living is design model kits. The
biggest problem is the material and method being used. If you were to
make a resin model in an RTV rubber mold, undercut would be no
problem. Unfortunately, then it would be unsuitable for mounting on
an RC car, because it would be too heavy, and too brittle. The only
way to make a semi-flexible model for mounting on an RC car, would
require a multi-part mold, and probably some sort of injection
method. When vacuforming, any undercut means you can not remove the
part once it is done if it has undercut.

It would not be difficult to make a very accurate Scirocco model,
even with a full interior, out of resin, but I doubt there are many
people who would be willing to pay the price the kit would have to
sell for in order to be worth the design time and materials. Over the
years I have thought repeatedly about making a model of my beloved
MkII, but I doubt you could even sell 100 of them, so it would have
to be a completely non-commercial venture unless I am just plain
wrong about the appeal of these cars.

If everyone really wants a high quality kit of the Scirocco, I could
certainly do one, but at a quantity under 500, it would probably have
to sell for around $100. If there are really people that interested
in getting one at this price, please let me know, and I will start
measuring and sculpting right now, but I doubt there will be any
takers at that price. On the other hand, if you could move 10,000 (a
very small run for a model) then you could lower the price to around
$20, which is more what people expect to pay for a kit.
Unfortunately, I don't even think there are 10,000 people who can
spell Scirocco, much les who are willing to by an accurate model of
one!

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.