wheel bearings - upsdate

Finally completed the other side last night.  And I found out something
interesting, and in contrast to what many people were telling me.  The car
was making a grinding/vibrating noise when driving along straight.  It would
worsen when I turned left, and go away completely when turning right.  Many
told me that indicates a bad Right wheel bearing.  Well, I did that side
first a couple of days ago and the bearing seemed to be in great shape,
smooth, no slack, good grease inside.  The noise didn't go away.  Last night
I did the left side, and the ball bearings splilled out onto the floor when
I pulled the hub.  The grease was all hard and clumpy, and the races and
bearings were scuffed and burned.  Now the car is completely smooth and
quiet. It was the left side that was bad!

So, the moral of the story is, don't always go by the behavior of the sounds
when diagnosing which wheel bearing is bad.  There are exceptions!

Brad