Fwd: Re: US bumpers my 2cents

Hey, those euro listers are actually not converting to "U.S" style lights, i've actually heard that on some models in Europe the double squares w H4 H3 were actually available as a bottom of the barrel option.  Oh, by the way, those struts that the US bumpers are attached to rust, leak, and actually may cause more damage to your frame rails in a minor shunt.  Also if one is dead and one still has pressure, the resulting impact will send one side in harder than the other, therefore making some weird body damage.  As for weight, hey, it's much easier to avoid an accident in a front heavy car to have 30 lbs less over the front end to slow down.  As for rear end collisions,  Most Sciroccos are lowered these days, so cars as mundane as a Pontiac Grand Am to Minivans to Idiotic penis envy SUVS front ends are over the bumper anyway, so the accident will just bypass the bumper and kill your back panel and put some nice creases in your unibody, killing your car anyway.  My Friend here in PGH PA was driving his Rabbit
 GTI and was rearended by a Grand Am.  Even though his Rabbit wasn't lowered that far, AND HAD AMERICAN BUMPERS WHICH ON A RABBIT ARE STEEL ANDPRETTY DAMN SUBSTANTIAL, the Grand Am just put that pointed bumper straight through his back panel, bent the hatch, smashed the taillights, even creased the license plate.  Only 2 little scratches on the bumper where the front tow hooks left marks.  Same thing happened to a friend driving an A2 GTI.  Impact was so hard it bent the floorpan backwards and sent the seat still connected to the floor almost onto the backseat.  Not a mark on his Golf Big bumpers.  What did this sort of damage?  A newer FORD RANGER!!!!!!!  So for protection purposes, the bumpers don't do squat.  But, at concerts, a full six pack and two of your closest friends have a seat.  No thanks, I can't wait to get rid of those "Little Tikes Kiddy Kar" bumpers off of my friggin' car.

Patrick Boyle

'87 Scirocco 16v
'87 Cabriolet
'84 Rabbit GTI