RE: A1 strut bearings

--- "Scott F. Williams" <sfwilliams@home.com> wrote:
> Cathy, there are at least two different variations on A1 upper strut
> bearings. The really ancient types are a multiple piece affair and are very
> sought after. Take the assembly apart, swap in a polyurethane insert, and
> voila -you've got a heavy duty bearing which handles better but isn't too
> rough. The other type is the later model rubber part. They are all the same
> as far as I know.

 Well, not all strut bearings are created equal!  ;)
Seriously, I went through *two* sets of stock strut bearings on my
16v in two years!  These were the standard stock rubber strut bearings.
Then I talked to Potter about the problem, and he sold me a set of the
Febi brand strut bearings...these seem to be holding up much better
than the stock "VW" bearings.  Just my experience...and Potterman's too!
The Febi's cost about the same, so I would get these instead.
 On a side note... if your rocco has an upgraded (firm) suspension you
will notice that these strut bearing will wear out much faster too.

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v
80 Scirocco