Re: cutting out

When you say it's cutting out, do you mean instant cutout or does it start
by hesitating when you try to accelerate and progress to losing power /
stuttering / cutting-out at idle. If it's the latter, sounds like fuel
starvation probably caused by crud in the tank. COuld also be a weak fuel
pump - I think the haynes manual gives specs for what sort of fuel flow you
should get if you disconnect the return line and measure the output. Was the
filter you removed particularly dirty?  Have you checked the condition of
the fuel filler neck - easily visible in the rear wheel arch; worth also
shining a torch down the inside of the filler.  Next port of call would be
to remove the fuel lifter from the tank and check the pickup for flakes of
rust / crud clogging it. If you remove the rear seat and unscrew the round
black plate you will see two pipes & a 2-pin plug. IF you disconnect these
and then use a blunt screwdriver to turn the plastic 'plug' until it feels
slack - should be about 1/8th - 1/4 turn and you can lift out the whole
unit. The pick-up is a length of plastic pipe with a slightly bulbous end
which has small holes to let fuel through. You could cut slots with a
hacksaw to ease fuel flow, as I did.  I'd definitely check the fuel pump
first to eliminate it before starting on the tank.
Another thing to consider is carburettor icing - does the warm air flap in
the air intake work? If it is stuck shut then you may get carb icing, even
in relatively warm weather. I don't know if super is maybe less prone to
icing but it's worth considering. If it takes a good few miles (5-10) before
cutting out then that could be the cause. The solution is to permanently jam
it half open - won't cause any problems even during hot summer weather.

HTH,

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8