RE: what is this? (pic)

Marc,
Thanks, now I just got to find a way to make the pic's smaller :)
After tracing hoses in the engine bay of both of my 81s and going through
the Bentley this is what I have come up with.
According to Bentley it is called a "Charcoal filter canister check valve"
and Bentley also called it a "Evaportive emission control valve" on another
page.
Assuming that I am reading the exploded views in the Bentley correctly and
they are labeled correctly (which sometimes they aren't) this is what you
are talking about?

There are 3 lines coming from it:
1. small vacuum line coming from the vacuum advance nipple on the "vacuum
unit" on the distributor.
2. large air hose coming from a T into the line going from the "Auxilary Air
Regulator" to the flexible intake boot on the throttle body.
3. large air hose running to "Activated charcoal filter canister" located in
drivers fender behind the fuel filter.

It is probably smog related. :)
Oh, and both my Scirocco's are 1981 CA cars and neither have an "egr valve"
or a "vacuum amplifier" if that helps any.

Randy