Re: Can your Scirocco outhandle a Honda?

At 12:51 AM 11/22/2001, Ben Channard wrote:
>     OK, sorry about the subject baiting.  But, most of you have probably
> seen the G-Games in the current SCC.  Basically, SCC invited it's sister
> publications (EC;VW Trends; Import Tuner; Turbo) to submit two cars each
> and then the cars were graded on performance on the skidpad, slalom, and
> a roadcourse, all on g-Force T/A KD street tires.  An autoXing RX-7 swept
> every event but the highest finishing front-driver on the 200-ft. skidpad
> was a Honda del Sol at 0.926g  Is this about as good as it gets for a FWD
> vehicle?  Has anyone with a G-Tech Pro measured their car's grip?  I
> remember a while back, one of the big three car magazines held a skidpad
> contest but I can't recall what type of numbers were generated.  I do
> remember that some kart with a suction system came out on top.  Anyway, I
> see a lot of dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times but never any quantitation
> of static grip.  Anyone break the 1.0g barrier?  benton----

As the old Crock pointed out, steady-state grip isn't a full representation
of what a car can do...

With that said, I've got that del Sol beat. :)

0.955g with my car:  87 Scirocco 16V, H&R Springs, Koni Adjustables, 15x7
Hock Rs, Neuspeed Upper Bar, 195/50-15 Potenza RE71.  I did both directions
on two types of pavement.  Both times I got 0.95g one direction and 0.96
the other, once alone and once with Daun in the car.

I can't wait to do it again with the Potenza Pole S-03s that I just ordered. :)

Jason

PS:  For the whole tire argument we just had not too long ago, we tested my
friend Scott's '91 Honda Accord EX last night.  Stock suspension, 195/60-15
RE950s (Bridgestone's best all-season) and it pulled 0.94g one way and
0.79g the other (the large difference is due to body roll and the way
G-Tech measures).  Therefore, the overall actual is the
average:  0.865g.  That is one hell of an impressive performance from those
tires.  I'll be doing the Mercedes this evening -- I have 950s on the
front, 930s on the rear.  It'll be loud -- and sideways -- but it should be
fun. :)

Jason