Damn, winter is here...clim. ctrl upgrades?

I trust everyone had a enjoyable weekend.

Almost got into an accident this morning because I got
impatient waiting for 10+ minutes for the window to
defrost...

One of the things I can't stand about Volkswagens is
how sorry the climate control system is. Does anyone
know of a way to upgrade either the heater core or fan
or both? What are typical trouble areas I should
check?

Thanks in advance - JT