Re: Neuspeed supercharger

> Well, from what _I_ understand it's not been touted as a stock 6 HP
> number but an average increase of 50%. Like maybe Stock 100 HP goes to
> 150 HP.

Yeah, they claim 50% increase in HP and 55% increase in Torque.  Now, a
base 2.0 Crossflow puts out 115hp and 125 ft/lbs of torque.  115*1.5 =
172.5 HP and 125*1.55 = 193.75 ft/lbs.  Those are VERY respectable
numbers and are better than a stock 1.8T.

> Bolt on? Mostly.

Definately bolt on.  I read the install manual, 3-4 hours is a good
estimate of install time, and it literally is a bolt on affair.

>Better than a Turbo? For my reasons, Yes.

One flaw in the system that makes it not as good as a turbo, is the lack
of an intercooler.

> Durable? Who knows yet?

True, but the part comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.  Plus, dude,
its an Eaton S/C, using a Roots style S/C, let alone an Eaton, is 10x more
relaible than a turbo.

> Name Brand behind it? More than one, both the component suppliers as
> well as NSpeed.

Right, as I mentioned, Eaton is the biggest name behind it.  And the most
expensive part of the system.

> Would _I_ by one? Yes. Well, Maybe, just not right now.
> Would I spend 4 figures for a new one? Well, not really, based on my
> (common maybe?) realistic budget and the asking price.

I did some checking, we both were wrong.  The complete kit is $3000 direct
from New Dimensions.  I am sure you could get a little better price on it,
but that is what they advertise it for.

> Would I instead, or later, spend in the ballpark of a Quaife? Strong
> Maybe.

With that kind of torque out of the engine, I would definately want a
Quaife. :-)

> Maybe if the stick with it during this early adopter period and can
> keep, get, extend 50 State Smog Legal Status then it might take off,

Tosha, it already IS 50 State Smog legal!  That is the beauty of it.  So
you couldn't afford the 1.8T, or it wasn't available and you went to the
2.0.  Well, with this bolt on, you can stay smog legal and get better
performance than a stock 1.8T! :-)  The more and more I think about it,
the more I want to put it on Katy's 2.0 Crossflow that is in the
Cabriolet.  170 HP 190 FT/LBS in a 91 Cabby would make for a quick little
ride.  I mean, look how much money Brett has spent getting his 2.0 16v to
these sort of numbers.  I know he is close in the HP department, but I
doubt his 2.0 16v is putting out that kind of torque.

> I'd be real happy to bolt one on to my upcoming Audi 3A block, 84 GTI
> solid lifter head, w/ larger but quite exhaust w/ some day new Cosmos
> Blue paint hoopty. Or even my old tired 1.8 A2 Jetta DD.

Well Tosha, you'd need to use the crossflow head, not your solid lifter
head.  Better to just turbo yours. :-)

--
Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (Parts car turned Daily Driver, mine)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (SOLD)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (Katy is driving this for now)

-Kelli Fox