Re: Importing VW's to North American WAS-->>RE: Scirocco on Ebay

I agree with Marc, I went to South Africa a couple of
years ago, and the old cars are really beat there.
What happens, is that it costs a lot for the people to
buy a new imported car there, so they have to buy a
used car.  I was there for a month or so, visiting a
girlfriend, and I bought some piece of Sh*& '81
Corolla for some ridiculous proice of $1500, or
something like that.  It would be worth $500 in US or
Canada.  Anyhow, in my 3rd week there, the car blew
the driveshaft, the rear transmission seal, and burned
a hole in one of the pistons/or broke a piston ring.
The lesson learned from this incident: always change
your oil if you think the oil might be dirty, and
always change U joints when they get noisy.  But I
digress, there are some good VW finds in Africa,
because they make all RHD Golfs there, and they make
brand new Rabbits and Caddys.  I don't recall seeing
any 'Roccos, but I understand that they were available
to Africa.  One thing, cars don't rust there; their
mechanical parts get worn out

Chris J.
'83 Scirocco GT
'81 Kawasaki KZ550