Re: Cool alternative to the TSR linkage kit

I made my own linkages sourcing the parts from McMaster-Carr.
SS threaded rod, Teflon lined spherical rod ends, and SS hardware ~ $90 in
hardware.
It did require removing all the VW shift-balls and adjusting my linkages to
the correct length and orientation of the OEM ones.
As far as them coming loose, it's never happened and should never happen.
I can now access every gear without any hang-up. The shifter has no play in
it (springing back to center when moved). All shifts are precise without
guesswork.
I have not used any other linkages (prefered to make my own that are
superior for less $$) so I don't know how the others fare.
The whole point (IMO) is to get rid of the play, allow for some adjustment,
and have a linkage 'system' that is much stronger, precise, and longer
lasting than the OEM setup.

If anyone wants pic's of my setup, e-mail me off-list.
HTH

Randy

> I just got an email from the guy that sells the gold linkage sets, on a
few
> questions i asked.
> He said:
> <<No, the links are fully adjustable, since this is a key design feature.
> find that
> adjusting the lengths a bit from stock can fine tune the shifting
> response.  For example I found I needed to make my rear link about 2.5mm
> longer to make 1st 2nd gear shifts work best.
> >>
> My personal opion to all of yah who need to replace your links, don't buy
> set that is adjustable.  You'll find yourself having to adjust the rods
every
> couple weeks because they keep coming undone.  I know this because the
first
> DST link set on my car was the adjustable version, that i ran for almost 2
> months.  Adn they were exactly the same as this guys gold links. Unless
you
> throw some lock tight on em every month or two, they come undone.(well
they
> come undone if you shift hard like i do) And when they do come undone,
you'll
> find yourself looking for a gear in the middle of traffic .  That's why
Jay