synthetic and conventional oil question

I bought a used VW Rabbit that has Amsoil in it.  I don't know if it has had Amsoil from day 1.  I need to do an oil change and have regular Castrol oil at home I was planning on using.  Anything wrong with this?  I know that switching from conventional oil to a synthetic can cause oil leaks, but I haven't heard anything -ve about going the other way around.

Another question.  Are the oil filters for 16vs and the JH 8vs the same?

Thanks,

Victor