Rad Fan Problems Upadate...

Thanks to all those who replied.

The point about the amperage might be relevant (still
checking on this one) as the '82 has no fuse and no relay.
Simple circuit - +ve on battery to thermo switch to fan to
-ve on battery. So if the coils short I am sure it will cook
in no tim e :)

As for the twin fan suggestion:

>As someone else posted, you can get dual fan/shroud for Sciroccos, from
>Summmit racing for example.  Perhaps use this on turbo and move know
>good to beater?  Wire up the dual so they go on sequentially?

Already planning that :)  That was the first fan replacement
that got cooked.  Fan ran fine for a couple years in the
'86. Was still running fine, but lasted a few weeks in the
'82.

I do think I have a lead on the problem though.  When I
pulled this last fan I noticed that the fan wobbled around
allot.  It felt like the bearings or the shaft were worn so
much that the fan was simply jumping all around (the blades
were nicely ground down from the shroud).  So I checked the
rad, and low and behold the two rubber mounting things on
the bottom of the rad were rotted.  I can lift the rad away
from the cross member.  So I am assuming the ran is jumping
when I hit bumps and the fan bearings are being bashed into
oblivion while the fan is spinning.

So New mounts for the rad and hope the next fan will last a
little longer :)

--
Cory Langford
'86 2L Oettinger Turbo Project