Re: Blue Oil

Sorry about the duplicate posts, my mail program crashed as I was sending the first one, so I didn't think it went through.

I was hoping someone would say "That's xxx synthetic oil, nothing to worry about", but it seems its still a mystery.

The color is about what I would expect if the engine were filled with nothing but STP and run until it got black, but the viscosity seems like normal oil.  (STP is really thick stuff, unless its changed since I last saw some in the '70's)

I'm leaning toward the kerosene cleanout idea (even if it was my own idea!)  Kerosene is sometime died blue, so the truck inspectors can tell  if its being used instead of (tax paid) diesel fuel.  The PO said that a crank bearing was shot because a particle clogged an oil passage. (but he didn't take the engine apart to confirm this).  I haven't taken it apart yet, but I agree with the diagnosis of a bad crank bearing.  I wonder if he did a "kerosene cleanout" and broke some crud loose?

I will see if I can find out any more about the car's history.

Bill