Re: Logo Infringement

C'mon you guys this IS a copyrighted trademark!!  I understand that it is on
an enthusiasts page and all but what if they never pursued anyone using this
without permission?  Then "Copy Rights" would mean nothing!  Plus, do you
think this is just VW?  I don't think so.  They are just protecting their
interests and making sure that their logo/good name isn't drug through the
mud.  I understand how you all feel, I was upset after I first read is snot
nosed little letter too but it is the law!!  All Dirk has to do is get
permission, NO BIGGIE!!  Plus, as a website designer and maintainer, one of
the responsibilities is to make sure you aren't breaking any copyright laws
or infringing on anything.  Just part of job!

As far as some of you threatening to never buy anything VW again, you might
want to think again.  If VW never defended their engineering/designs/etc.
(even artwork) then none of us would probably be buying anything VW ever
again.  I understand that Big Corporations have a lot of power in the form
of $ and lawyers in the U.S. but how many stories have you all heard about
the little person getting millions on something stupid?  Happens all the
time these days.  We're all sue happy so the Big Corporations have to go on
the offense now and defend their positions.

It is a bunch of crap, but I am sure Honda, Mitsubisi, Ford, John Deere,
etc. all have to do similar policing.  I wouldn't want to find out that the
dealership that I had my car fixed at wasn't a dealership at all but just a
"general repair" shop with a big VW emblem out front.

Anyway, this is a simple fix.  Just get permission.  Dirk isn't profitting
off of his sight or anything so it shouldn't be an issue.  What you don't
want to happen Dirk is have all these guys on the list email VWoA and go off
on them about your situation when you want to get permission.  I would just
be nice about it and get permission.  Then they can't mess with you and if
they DO, THEN you can mess with them back!!

HTH!!  My $.02

Dave