Own Work and update on 88 16v

I would say I do roughly 70% of the work on my Scirocco on my own.  I
certainly do everything I can possibly do on my own and some things I
probably shouldn't try to do.

I had posted a while back with a lengthy list of questions.  I just wanted
to say that I appreciated all the response.  I started on the cooling system
last night.  I replaced the radiator fan switch.  The fan will still not
come on automatically, it will however come on when the defrost is on.  I
replaced the thermostat because the coolant coming out of the radiator
seemed awfully cool.  I figure if the thermostat was stuck shut then that
would certainly result in overheating but might also prevent the fan from
kicking on since the radiator would not be heating up.  Alas, the fan still
won't come on unless the climate control is in defrost mode.  In the process
I also flushed the system and replaced the coolant.  I guess I'll try a new
radiator and/or water pump next.

The other stuff will have to wait for now.  I still think I'm going to have
to change out that driver side motor mount.  The more I look at it, the more
it looks like it's going to be a real bitch.  I did the front and rear on my
own with no problem.  I had the passenger side mount done at a garage and
I'm thinking I may have to have the driver side mount done by somebody.

Warren Price