Engine tech help needed

I'm assembling a 1.8 16v. I got the crank, flywheel, etc. back from the
balancer so it's finally assembly time.

Bentley (mine anyway) is particularly vague about this. Any help, stories,
or hints would be appreciated.

The intermediate shaft seal carrier was in this engine with RTV between it
and the block. I've assembled it with the suggested o ring and torqued the
bolts to the recommended 18 ft. lb. There is a tremendous amount of end play
in the shaft. Forty two thousandths to be precise. This just doesn't seem
right. Are there supposed to be shims between the shaft and the block? Are
there supposed to be shims between the shaft and the seal carrier? If this
end play is to be adjusted what should it be? Other than wear, what would be
the down side of this much end play?

I know... too many questions. Some of these are just rhetorical and you
needn't answer all of them but someone please help me to get a handle on
this.

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/