Thoughts about our little community

Dave,

First things first.  I am saying my peace here to the list, I actually
wrote this as a private email to you, but re-read it and felt that it
belonged out there for everyone to see.  Please do reply privately so we
can let this thread die once and for all.

I understand you playing devils advocate, but again, calling names and
such (hypocrit) doesn't help things...just tends to invite flames.

Also, you seem the type that things there is always a right and a wrong.
A black and white sort of guy.  Thing is, alot of us see the grey in the
middle.  Thats where this issue of parts posts fall in...that sorta grey
area....some people concider any parts/group buys spam, others don't.
Thats the beauty of a list like this, we all seem to have reached a happy
medium over this past 5 or so years this list has been around.  You would
have loved bantering with some of the early listers that started this
thing. (Iain Mannix comes to mind).

I digress...back to my point.  Which is...there does seem to be a fine
line on this list....but it isn't between this black and white you trying
to define.  It is between that grey area and the black.  This list
tolerates alot of things here and there, is amazingly dynamic and to be
honest (after meeting dozens of the list members in person) is a awesome
group of people.  But people do cross that imaginary line that makes this
list react...usually quite an outspoken reaction too :-) as you saw. Thats
just it about a free forum like this, collective personality if you will.
We all mesh in our certain way, and we all have our differences. Yet
together, we make this interesting "personality" if you will.  And, if you
noticed, most of the list reacted to this JP person in the same manner
(and, if you hadn't noticed, a majority of the people that reacted we long
time listers, most over 3 years).  This list, and this group of people is
quite like The Borg...they suck you in and make them your own....I quite
like it! :-)

Now..Dave, with all respect, I ask you to retire your soapbox on the list.
I agree a little intelligent conversation is good for people, but there is
a time to take it offlist and let things be.  Trying to change this group
of people isn't going to get you very far.  Just live with them, have some
tolerance, and most of all, have some fun.  Flames and annoyances come up
on every public forum on the internet.  The Scirocco list is no
exeception.  But, the Scirocco List has the highest signal to noise ratio
of any list I have ever seen.  That is the reason I am still here after so
many years.  :-)

Curious of your thoughts Dave, and anyone else, but lets do take this
offline.

Eric

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Dave Ewing wrote:

> Hey, OK, the guy is probably slime but what your saying here is quite a fine
> line.  So, Mike can come to the rescue of the listers
> needing to do a group buy thing but somebody couldn't post his new
> connection to a german supplier for 16v euro intakes for $100 ea if he has a
> VW parts/shop business, right?  I think the word here is hypocrit.  If it's
> a good deal, cool.  If it sounds like something that you might not like then
> blast'em.  In this case, you are probably right about this guy but overall,
> this doesn't work for me.  There needs to be some
> rules/guidelines set here because I'm getting tired of the "Rules" being set
> by the dozen that actually post.
>
> Dave
>
> > When its a list member selling used or NOS parts, its not spamming. Tim
> > at ND posted about parting out a Roc. Thats not spamming either. If he
> > posted that his A3 turbo kits are on sale, thats spamming. The list is
> > for the benefit of the list users not for the benefit of list users
> > wallets.
> >

> > Shawn Méze
> > 86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
> > 82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
> > The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
> > San Diego!
> > http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

> majordomo@scirocco.org

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (Parts car turned Daily Driver, mine)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (SOLD)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (Katy is driving this for now)

-Kelli Fox