RE: [TECH] Timing belt covers

I don't know where you are or whether you will be driving in snow - my dad
had a '76(?) Rabbit that he bought new back in the day, and one time he hit
a snowdrift with it.  I understand the old timing belt cover setup didn't
protect as well as the later setup, and the pile of snow hitting the timing
belt caused it to jump off.  For the minimal weight of the cover, I'd use
it.

Can't you hold off on installing the crank pulley?  It will take only a few
minutes anyway, and that should be the only thing you would have to remove
(besides the WP pulley) to put the cover on.

This assumes 8V - I'm not familiar with 16V.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle