Sputtering Jetta?????

My winter car......a 84 Jetta runs great but when I am at low throttle or coasting it
jerks and sputters until I give it a lot of gas and then it runs fine.  I have allready
changed the plugs, wires, fuel and air filter.  It seems to idle fine and has plenty of
fuel pressure since when I put the new filter in the fitting was not tight enough when I
first put it on and it sprayed out gas for quite a while until the pressure was all gone

is it possibly the fuel pump relay I have not tried to change that yet???