From: Dan Bubb [mailto:jdbubb@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 11:27 AM
To: Fry, Larry; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: stroker cranks

Cr=(D+V)/V
Where Cr = compression ratio
D=cylinder SWEPT volume (displacement of one cylinder, e.g 496cc for a
VW 2.0)
V=volume of the combustion chamber with the piston at TDC. This includes
volume in the head, volume of any cutouts in the piston and volume due
to gasket thickness.
Rearranging the above equation we get:
V=D/(Cr-1)

So, if a 2.0 has a Cr of 10.8 then V=496/(10.8-1)=50.61cc

If the displacement is increased to 2042cc then D=2042/4=510.5cc
Then Cr=(510.5+50.61)/50.61=11.09Cr

As I said this assumes the piston height is unchanged at TDC after
stroking either by using a shorter rod or raising the pin height in the
piston and that the piston crown shape does not change.
Dan