Re: Battery Light (+ good tech info) - techies MUST READ

I'll go into 'the details' for marc (p.s. marc, you know all this stuff
already).

An alternator has rotating winding (armature), as well as stationary
windings (stator).
    Current goes through the armature winding (via the rings/brushes many of
you have seen), making it one big rotating magnet. This magnetic field is
felt by the stator windings, causing them to produce an AC output. This AC
is then rectified (converted to DC) and sent out to your battery. The
regulator 'senses' the DC output voltage and varies the current to the
armature, varying the intinsity of the field, thus varying the output
voltage. You may be wondering 'what the heck does the regulator part have to
do with the light staying on till i rev the engine*&#$^@', here's your
answer:
    Picture the car off, alternator is not spinning, nothing 'generated' by
the stator, since the armature is not rotating. The reverse is true here: no
generated voltage, regulator has no voltage to make the armature current
from (dont go thinking it has battery voltage, the battery cannot supply
current TO the alternator, since it would be going backwards through the
rectifier (just go with me on this, it doesnt work that way)). Compared to a
gas grille, the gas is off and there is no flame.
    Now, you start your car. Belts start spinning the armature. Wait a sec,
there is no armature current, and no stator voltage to make it. So now, "The
gas is on, but there is no flame". What the heck%*&@)%. How does this thing
ever get going you might wonder???
    Answer: There is a small magnet built into the center of the armature
winding. It supplies the initial field, just enough for the stator to
generate some voltage (our "spark"), just enough for the regulator to send
current to the armature and 'jack up' the output voltage to the 14VDC we're
all happy to see from a working alternator. The whole process is called
'flashing the field', which is why i related it all to a gas grille.
    Question #2: Why does my alternator do this flashing light thing now,
when it didnt do it when the car was new?
    Answer #2: Several possibilities:
        1. Magnet is getting weak: rust, heat cycles (remember, from high
school, heh), vibration.
        2. Rectifier diode(s) are open: the stator on our alternators are '3
phase AC generators' to rectify this type of AC down to single phase DC, you
need a group of 6 diodes. 3 phase systems are high reliability (the entire
power distribution system on my submarine was 3 phase), portions of them can
totally not work, but there will still be at least some output. 1 or 2 of
these diodes can be broken causing the DC output to be weakened. While this
may be ok once the field has flashed, it will require a higher rotating
speed to get it flashed to begin with.
        3. Stator field winding open: one of the 2 windings could have an
open wire. The effect is the same as open diode(s) associated with that
field.
    You can 'knock out' one of the 3 phases and still get nearly 50% power
output. Thank VW for overengineering everything, since your scirocco can
probably still run just fine on the 3 phases.
Hope this info helps everyone.
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6) running - for now
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)