Re: replacing rotor

At 10:25 AM 11/4/01 -0800, Dan Miller wrote:
>there are 2 parts to this email
>
>1:  Can a deteriorating rotor cause an engine to run badly, deterioraating
>over time, and then eventually start dying out and eventually produce no
>spark at all?

Yes.  It doesn't matter how good your distributor is; if the rotor is junk
it will still run like shit.

>2:  how do you replace a 16v rotor
>
>i have already replaced the cap, but teh rotor is worn down to less than
>half of the original contact on the tip of the rotor.  Is it the proper
>procedure to crush the collar of the rotor?  where can i get the adhesive
>necessary, if this is the proper procedure, and can the rotor be installed
>without the adhesive without causing any adverse short and longterm effects?

you can either pull it off, or if it doesn't want to, then you crush
it.  I've installed them without adhesive, but they were awfully tight to
begin with.  I don't really want to say don't do and have something mess up
you.  But if it even close to being loose I would not hesitate to use adhesive.

John