drum brake problems............

I hope someone can help me out.

I changed the rear brakes (shoes) on my audi (exact same as vw drum brakes).
It looked like the PO forgot to put in those little wedge adjuster things,
so I went and picked up a couple from the dealer.  So....I change the
brakes, get a few cuts on my fingers trying to get the springs back on, and
voila, I'm done.  Just like the many times I've done this before.

HOWEVER, I take the car for a test drive and the pedal still feels really
soft.   And the brakes feel like they are dragging.  I did some "adjusting"
by driving in reverse and hammering on the brakes.....still dragging.  The
problem can't be the parking brake, cause I snapped of the piece that
connects the cables to the handle.

WTF????  this leads me to believe that the PO had the same problem, and
removed the adjusters so he wouldn't have to deal with it.  I don't
understand why the brakes would be dragging.  BTW, after my 5 min test
drive, I put my had about 6 inches away from the rear wheels and it felt
like a burner on a stove turned to high, and it smelled pretty bad.

Can anyone help me figure this out please?

TIA
Casey
84 Roc
84 Audi CGT