Re: My new exhaust!

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:18:58 -0600 "L. M. Lloyd" <ubik@austin.rr.com>
writes:
> I got my whole new exhaust in yesterday, thank you everyone for the
> helpful advise on the o2 sensor, and the exhaust in general. I have
> to say I amazed by how quiet the whole system is. I have the 2.25"
> TT stainless downpipe/cat with the matching exhaust pipe and a
> stainless Borla muffler, and it is quieter than the stock exhaust!
>
> One more question however:
>
> Is the exhaust going to settle downward over the next few days as
> the rubber hangers settle into place? The reason I ask is because I
> spent quite a bit of time adjusting the fit of the exhaust pipe to get
> maximum clearance, took it on several test drives and adjusted
> again, and still there is one spot that very occasionally makes a
slight
> rattle as in just barely rubs on the undercarriage. I have adjusted
> as much as it can be, and there is simply no way I can get any more
> clearance in that one spot without causing it to rub somewhere else.
> As I said, it normally doesn't rub, and with the car off it seems to
> have plenty of clearance everywhere, but under some circumstances I
> still get a slight "brrr" from this one bit. Even if the whole thing
> only settled an 1/8" that would probably be enough to clear
> everything.
>
> Any ideas?

The rubber hangers won't settle that much...
You can adjust the metal hangers on the inlet of the muffler, but I'd try
tweaking the exhaust first.
Check the clearances along the entire exhaust, running your fingers along
it, especially by the over axle part where the heatshield is.
Move the exhaust around by the tailpipe as you continue to look for
clearance issues.

When I first installed the TT exhaust on my Scirocco, I had some rubbing
problems, and the tailpipe hanger didn't line up. I called TT and Collin
said that I probably have an early 16V 2" race downpipe, and that it is a
little longer. I separated the exhaust, cut about an inch off of the
downpipe, reconnected it making sure it was aligned, and it it doesn't
rub at all.

Peter - <http://thescirocco.com> - Discount Techtonics, Peloquin LSD,
Autotech-Quaife USA, Ronal USA, Motorworks, & Magnecor Dealer -  Bear, DE
19701
'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
<http://feedbyte.com>