O2 sensors and idling woes...

While we're on the topic of O2 sensors...

How do I know my O2 sensor is bad? Im trying to chase down a rough idling
problem and the O2 sensor is on my list. When i start my car, it'll idle
rough and then normalize after a few bounces. does the same after the car is
taken out of gear. so far i've cleaned out the idle stablizer, replaced the
injector rings, and checked for vacuum leaks (i'll probably have to do this
again). i'll have to try to clean and re-torque the knock sensor next.

When I disconnect the O2 sensor altogether, my idling is still as rough as
when its on. Does this mean its bad?

dave