Re: coolant overflow - Are you guys sure?

I have a question on this overflowing thing.  I realize that the system
should be pressurized for various reasons, but I've never overflowed with
the system not pressurized on a VW.

I've done this on an 88 Fox, 86 GTI, 82 Scirocco, 86 528E.  This was done to
stop leaks  until I could get home and properly repair the vehicles.  The
engines were at full operating temps and driven anywhere from 5 min. to
1-1/2 hr (free 86 528E - didn't know the coolant level sensor was leaking
out all of the pressure) and the coolant levels were full.  None of them
overflowed or even showed a high level reading afterwards.  OTOH, I replaced
the thermostat on my 89 Topaz last weekend and forgot to hook up the fan
switch DOH!!! but shut the car off before the gauge hit the red zone on the
test drive.  When I popped the hood to reconnect the sensor, coolant
starting gushing out of the reservoir.

So, why is it that some cars will overflow and some won't??

Curiously,
Chris