re: Idle kickdown (stranger yet!)

I have made a new discovery on my idle kickdown problem.  First off, I
can't
usually just kick the throttle to make it kick down.  What I have to do
is partially
release the clutch to make the rpms drop from 2000 down to around 1000,
then
it will stay low until I start driving again.  What the hell is my
problem!?!?

Another problem seems to have recently popped up.  All the sudden, when my
car is cold it has an undecided amount of power.  Sometimes it's nearly
normal
but other times I can step on the gas and it will feel a total lack of
power and
when it does this, if I let all the way off the gas it will nearly die
but then come back to
a normal idle ususally and it will do this for about the first 30
seconds to 1 min of driving.
When I feel the lack of power, if I just keep my foot on the throttle
exactly the same
it will come up to full power in a few seconds but it's just a really
lame problem.
This is my '88 16v Jetta BTW.  Could my problem be a bad heater wire
connection on
my O2 sensor?  OR?