Re: oil leaks/synthetics

>Okay, all this talk of oil reminded me of something I heard a while back. Does
>synthetic sneak past older seals and gaskets more easily than the dino type?
>If so , could this be why my clutch is slipping now (several listers have
>suggested seals as the culprit). This is the first synthetic  since I got the
>engine done in December, garage put in the normal stuff and the good stuff
>went in when the head was done. And do new seals come with the "clutch kit"
>from the dealer when the engine was swapped, that is what's on the bill, sorry
>guys, didn't do this myself so not sure what parts are in there.

Yes, a synth switch on an older engine has been known to cause leaks, it
is presumed to be that the synth flushes out all the gunk in the sealing
areas and leaks start.  If it wasn't for the old crusted dino oil junk
those seals would probably have been leaking anyway.  As to the clutch
kit, no there are no seals as far as I know.  There are at least three
that it would have been a good idea to have replaced...two near the
input shaft on the transaxle (inner and an outer), and the rear main
oil seat around the crank.

Getting any puddles on the ground?

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net