Re: What Oil to Use in a 16V and 8V?

If you check the oil recommendations for 8V, 16V and diesel engines, you
will see that for multiweight oils, 15W40 and 20W50 are both recommended
up to the same maximum temperature, but 15W40 is usable to a lower limit.

Unless you live in an area where ambients exceed 30Cish or 90F on a
_regular_ basis (ie for weeks or months at a time,) 15W40 will be more
suitable than 20W50 for your motor, and will not rob as much power or
economy (or burst your oil filter either, if you run diesels that tend to
clog up the pressure relief valves after a few hundred thousand k's)

Sal's definietly not in a climate where he should consider running 20w50.

Drew

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Daun Yeagley wrote:

> --- Ryan McCarthy <scirocco777@juno.com> wrote:
>
> Please, please, do not run 20-50
> > in your engine.
>
> Bzzzzt.  20w50 is the recommended oil for our engines.
>
> > My father did that to my jetta, before I bought it from
> > him, on the
> > advice of a mechanic. Two bearings spun and I directly
> > link that to
> > running too thick a grade in the car.
>
> Nope.  Total coincidence.
>
> I run Castrol 20w50 in every VW I own, and will likely
> continue doing so for the forseeable future.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca