Re: What Oil to Use in a 16V and 8V?

That guy is nuts. You know what grade oil I run in my 8v? 0w-30. That's
right. It's Amsoil, full synthetic, same viscosity and lubricating
properties as a 10w-30. Please, please, do not run 20-50 in your engine.
My father did that to my jetta, before I bought it from him, on the
advice of a mechanic. Two bearings spun and I directly link that to
running too thick a grade in the car. At the very least, check out
amsoil's website: www.amsoil.com . They have lots of technical and
general information regarding their lubricants. I myself will always
swear by their motor oils. Their is no substitute, and they have the test
results to prove it. Good luck!

Ryan

On Fri, 25 May 2001 13:32:22 -0400 (EDT) pellom@yorku.ca writes:
> Guys and gals,
>
> I just got back from the mechs and he told me that I was using the
> wrong oil
> grade in my 16V.  He said to definitely use 20W50 in a 16V motor.
> I've been
> using 10W40 since the rebuild last Fall (car stored for the winter).
>  Have I
> done any damage to the motor?  The lifters are also ticking.  Could
> that be
> caused by the use of thinner oil?
>
> Finally, the 8V in my Vwabbit is burning oil.  Once again, should i
> be using
> 20W50?  Any suggestions are definitely welcomed.
>
> TIA
>
> Sal

Ryan
'82 Scirocco GL