From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Vee Dubb
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 2:00 PM
To: RoccoPhil; Scirocco Mailing List
Subject: [Tech]Why measure CO? re:ignition timing and res

So the Bentley and many of you have mentioned measuring CO to set the
mixture, and i'm sure that was the way it was done on this car originally,
but why not use the O2 sensor?  We all have that sensor, whereas we have to
find some way or buy some gadjet to measure CO.  The thing should be
disconnected during adjustments anyway, shouldn't it?    It's supposed to be
a final correction to the mixture, so the mixture should be tuned to give
the best "average" result without the sensor [IMHO].  Why not just hook up a
voltmeter to it and tune away?  That's essentially how we do the first few
rounds of tuning on the Formula project I work on, so why should we use
anything different for a Scirocco?

Actually we don't use a voltmeter, but instead we have a custom built meter
that uses a running bar graph to show the mixture, but a good DVM, or even
analog, will do the same.  There was a website somewhere that showed how to
build one of these Lambda meters for a few bucks.  Of course I can't find
the link at the moment, but ask me if you want it.

Sincerely;

Brian Haygood