Re: Need some eval help on a Mk2 16v

josh Wyte wrote:

> Going to look at a Mk2 16v that the owner put into a
> snow bank.
>
> Definately needs an oil pan, right front wheel isn't
> sitting straight, can't get into 1st or 2nd.  3rd and
> 4th are where 1st and 2nd should be...
>
> I'm hoping it's just a bent A-arm for the wheel and
> bent shift forks for the tranny...  What else could
> cause the misalignment of the gears?
>
> How can I tell if the subframe or the car frame is
> bent vs the A-arm?
>
> -josh

Why must it be the trans that's broken? More likely the linkage is off
spec.

- Linkage/shifter plate alignment in car.
- Linkage under car in eng. bay bent.
- Motor mounts have shifted engine out of alignment.

It got driven into a snow bank? Might the impact have shifted things?
Perhaps even the driver mashing on the shifter itself could have slammed
it over enough to mess it up, try and look under the shift boot for the
two little holes there supposed to line up with the tunnel it/s bolted
to.

hth,
TBerk