Re: jumoer connections

Dan Miller wrote:

> how do i jump the feul pump relay connetions w/o the vw special tool... couldnt figure it out myself.. ther's so many of them!!!  I understand everything else of the jector test but i cant figure outhow to jumpt he c0onnections.
>
> Dan miller
>
> --

Dan,

There are two basic parts to a relay; the signal side and the power side.

On a VW there is power coming straight from the battery, it is usually
labeled 30 in the wiring diagram. This is your source. (Be careful not
to short it).

On the fuse box is a fuel pump relay, after you pull it out you will see
that it has at least four prongs, some later ones have five. If you look
really close you will see the larger two of the four- one will be 30,
the other will most likely be labeled 87. That 87 leads to the 'work' or
load that the 30 is driving; in this case the fuel pump (and some other stuff).

You assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to bridge the 30 to
the 87. This will simulate the relay getting power on the trigger side
which closes the relay switch and powers the pump. A good tool is to get
two spade ends (like seen on speakers) and solder them to one of those
inline fuse modules you use for radio installs. CYA baby.

go for it.

TBerk
PS- In a pinch this kind of jumpering can get you home if the relay
fails- remember it will continue to run the pump until you pull the wire
out. You have bypassed the Ign. switch at this point.