TECH Q's: Ignition timing problems and resolution (gasp! - dealer?)

Oi vay - it's the 1987 8v....... that owns me, of late...... <sigh>

PROBLEM: setting ignition timing in correlation to idle speed

First, the flywheel (description) - OEM flywheel.  Has two (2) marks on it
(I've painted them).  One bigass mark to the right of the protruding boss
(or lug as some call it), and a somewhat smaller mark to the right of that
one.  Now, I don't recall two marks on my '85, so I am going with the big
mark just to the right of the boss.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Engine timing is PERFECT.  Checked it too many times, even pulled valvecover
to verify valve action at #1 TDC.  It's on.

Now, my problem is trying to figure out the idle speed adjustment to use and
then set the timing off that.  Either one affects the other.  I'd like to
use the 6 BTDC setup.

I set my timing light at ZERO degrees and the timing mark seems very
retarded.  The engine is really racing as I bring it up to the proper place
and I have to cut idle speed adjust down really far.  Which makes me think -
I have NO clue what that adjustment should be and what my CO level is like!
Not that I am freakin' on the pollution thing, but I want to run at idle
properly, not lean or rich....

Suggestions?  I am thinking of taking to VW to get the timing done so I have
a proper CO setup to work with in the future..

-Phil