Re: Electrical woes & possible new car

I am new to the list, and this seemed like a good opportunity to introduce myself.

I had a similar incident with my 87 16V when it was few months old.  My husband installed a stereo amp that he gave me for my birthday, and the next time I turned the lights on, smoke started pouring out of the dash.

I didn't recall all of the details, but asked my husband if he did -- here's his response.  I never bothered to replace the dimmer switch; don't even miss it at this point.

Grace
--

The wiring has a design flaw - the dimmer output is fused off the large fuses for the headlights even though small wire is used to the panel lights and the radio panel light.  It is a fire hazzard as designed because if a short on any of the panel illumination wiring occurs it will fry something, especially when the dimming is set low.

If the dimmer is toasted you can bypass it by connecting the wires at the dimmer plug (no dimming function), and it is best to add an in-line fuse to the wire before it gets distributed.

Had a similar underdash fire in an 87 16V, burned out the wire to the radio and melted the insulation on a bunch of wires in the bundle over the steering column.  It actually happened because I put in a stereo amp powered off the illumination wire thinking it was power to the radio, which worked fine until it got dark and the lights were turned on.  The extra current of the panel fried the wires and the dimmer control (OOPS!).  I cut the melted wires and slipped sleeving over the burned areas, and spliced in new pieces on the ones that were fried.  And I added a 5 amp inline fuse so it can't happen again (and connected the stereo amp to a better spot).

On Mon, 21 May 2001, "Ewan Hopkins" wrote:

> Had an interesting experience last night - driving on the motorway around
> 8-30pm, switched on the side-lights and hey presto, a couple of seconds
> later mega-smoke coming from the dash - if you've seen the cheech & chong
> film where they're smoking joints in an old beetle, I think, you'll get the
> drift... Switched the lights off pronto and pulled over.    Pulled the
> switch and one of the wires was toast. When I got home & checked the book,
> it turned-out to be the dimmer switch output. Haven't dared look under the
> dash yet but nothing else seems to be affected - think I'll take a day off
> tomorrow to inspect the damage!!!
> Anyone know offhand if the wiring for the dash lighting goes anywhere near
> the main loom? I'm hoping not.
> On a happier note, met someone at the weekend selling a (paprika?) red '87
> GT for £100. Had a quick look as I drove past it - looks pretty clean except
> for the beginnings of the dreaded door handle rot on the pass. door.  Good
> set of euro lights & bumpers - I think I'll take a closer look.
>
> TIA,
>

> Ewan Hopkins...
>
> '85 Storm 2.0
> '86 GT 1.8