From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Ewan Hopkins
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 9:18 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Electrical woes & possible new car

Had an interesting experience last night - driving on the motorway around
8-30pm, switched on the side-lights and hey presto, a couple of seconds
later mega-smoke coming from the dash - if you've seen the cheech & chong
film where they're smoking joints in an old beetle, I think, you'll get the
drift... Switched the lights off pronto and pulled over.    Pulled the
switch and one of the wires was toast. When I got home & checked the book,
it turned-out to be the dimmer switch output. Haven't dared look under the
dash yet but nothing else seems to be affected - think I'll take a day off
tomorrow to inspect the damage!!!
Anyone know offhand if the wiring for the dash lighting goes anywhere near
the main loom? I'm hoping not.
On a happier note, met someone at the weekend selling a (paprika?) red '87
GT for £100. Had a quick look as I drove past it - looks pretty clean except
for the beginnings of the dreaded door handle rot on the pass. door.  Good
set of euro lights & bumpers - I think I'll take a closer look.

TIA,

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8