Fwd: Re: Injectors or???

From: Scott Rose <slash2@mindspring.com>
>Did you check the timing?

Yeah, a dozen times. Checked it again last night though and came up with an interesting question - there's only mark on the flywheel - a notch - that I've been using as the timing mark. That IS the timing mark and not TDC, right? If it's TDC I'm gonna feel might stupid... :D

From: Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>
>If they are spraying(not dripping) with the
>air sensor plate fully closed then the fuel
>distributor plunger must be too far up the
>bore. I'd try unscrewing (turn it CCW) the fuel
>adjuster with the engine running. It sounds
>like the setting is way rich. Were the plugs
>real dark or black when you removed them??

I'd definitely call it a spray, not a drip. The plugs were sooty, so I leaned it out to the point where it was missing so bad it was barely driveable - minivans were outrunning me on the freeway - with no improvement on the other problems.

From: Cheapass Ron <rapieper@yahoo.com>
>I reckon you may want to look at the hall
>sender and wiring in the dist, plus plug wires
>and maybe 02 sensor.  The situation you
>describe with the injectors sounds OK to me.
>What leads you to think this is fuel vs. spark?
>Have you checked ignition timing?  If far out,
>it could mean you've jumped a tooth on the
>cam...so maybe cam timing is off.  SITD (shot
>in the dark!)

I put the timing light on it and revved it until it cut it out, and the light kept flashing nice and steady. I didn't watch the timing though to see if anything strange happened there. I swapped on a different set of plug wires with no effect. It passed California Smog II with flying colors so I'm pretty sure the O2 sensor is ok. I tried disconnecting it to check and it didn't make any difference. I replaced the timing belt a year ago when it jumped a few teeth.

Maybe my approach is all wrong - the car is fine, but the VW gods are displeased and I need to appease them by burning some VTec badges in sacrifice.

At 09:10 PM 5/15/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Still trying to figure out the problem with my '86 8V. Replaced the plugs,
readjusted the fuel mixture, and it still idles rough, gets poor mileage,
cuts out at 6000 rpm, and now it even misses at cruising speed. At least I
accomplished something... :D So I pulled the injectors to replace the
seals, decided to quickie test them while I had them out, and found that
they all spray a little bit with the fuel pump running and the air sensor
plate at rest. The spray patterns all look okay when I lift the air sensor
plate. Since they all do it about the same amount, I'm wondering if the
injectors are okay and the problem is elsewhere. The air sensor plate looks
like it's positioned okay (i.e. all the way closed). I don't what else it
could be - a bad fuel distributor maybe?

account at http://www.eudoramail.com

--------- End Forwarded Message ---------