Re: 16v drive flange seals

--- Corey Muscavitz <skyrocco16v@prodigy.net> wrote:
> i just saw T.M.B's post and it reminded me about mine.  how difficult is it
> to replace the drive flange seals on a stock 16v tranny?  i haven't looked
> in the bently about it yet, and was just wondering how to do it.

 Not that hard to do, but a pain!  You will need to remove the
flange in order to replace the seal (duh).  And in order to do that, it
requires the removal of the inner cv joint/axle from the flange.  So, you
need that special 12-point socket to remove the inner cv bolts.
Once you get the axle up out of the way and clean out all that old grease
then you can remove the flange.  This is where you need that special tool
that TMB talked about...basically it compresses the flange so that you can
*safely* remove the c-clip.  Then the flange should slide off and you
can replace the seal.
  So, before you get involved make sure that you have c-clip pliers, the
12-point driver, and the flange tool.  Without these tools the job will not
be a fun time!

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v