Re: A raft of engine rebuild Q's

Two minor points:
After doing any work on a crank, such as knife edging, it is always
balanced as the last item. Knife edging will have minimal impact on
crank strength, since it doesn't remove metal in the primary load path.
A three angle valve job doesn't refer to angles on the valve itself. It
refers to the valve seat in the head and a relief cut on the inside and
outside of the seat. Actually, a three angle valve job is pretty
standard because the relief cuts are needed to get the seat at the right
diameter and the right width. It is a good idea to smooth the edge on
the valve on the inside of the seat since it helps airflow.
And a third point just for shits and giggles. Valve springs are cheap
and they are one of the highest stressed components in an engine.
Dan