ND Weekend Schedule (rev 7)

Another message from Doug.

-Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Teulie
Sent: May 14, 2001 5:58 PM
To: Doug Teulie; 'Kevin Collins'; 'rx7pilot@hotmail.com'; 'David Guido';
Ian Overholt; 'SailingFC@aol.com'; 'sfwilliams@home.com'; 'Joe Doty';
'AdidasRavr@aol.com'; 'fatcuban@hotmail.com'; 'Randy B';
'tberk@mindspring.com'; 'scirocco@home.com'; 'Teulie, Katherine';
'Tobias M-G'; 'mmk2@home.com'
Subject: ND Weekend Schedule (rev 7)

Subject: Subject: ND Weekend Schedule (rev 7)
(forward this to .org)

BTW this report is from Doug T.
MY HOME PHONE NUMBER IS 949 552 8484.

This is the schedule for the weekend.
The goal is to nail down some times so we can all meet up
at set locations and times. I say, come join us for a day
or a week but you should know how to find us if you need
to split and get coffee for 4 hours. This is the largest
meeting of Scirocco drivers on the west coast.

Don't forget to bring cans of food for ND, a Talkabout two way radio,
a digital camera if you have one, cell phone, a printout of this
e-mail, and your car.

Tuesday (So CAL)
The German Team arrives and I will be at LAX to pick them up.
(Tuesday 15th of May  01:23 PM LAX Terminal 7 flight nr. is UA187 ).
This is the beginning of the tour.
Dinner will be in Laguna beach that evening at 7:00.
Reservations are for 8 at this time. Contact me if you want to attend.
949 552 8484

Wednesday (So CAL)
A good day to wash a car or just relax.
Doug will tour with German team in LA.
We may go to LA to the Peterson automotive museum.
Dinner will be at the Block of Orange at 8:00.
We will go to GameWorks after dinner.
We may even do some cart racing at Speedzone or Dromo 1.
Reservations are for 9 at this time. Contact me if you want to attend.
You may want to pack so you don't have to scramble.

Thursday (So CAL)
Dan May is arriving in to SD Thursday
at about 11am and should head up to Potter's place
that night driving Julie's car that Shawn just
finished rebuilding the motor! Eric (soltwede@private.com) will arrive
In San Diego and drive up with Shawn and the crew.
Jim, Don, and Ben arrive in OC.
Kevin will pick them up at the airport. Doug and the German team may
have lunch with the crew in OC. We pack up and then
meet at VWP at 4 PM. GET GAS ON THE WAY IN!!!

How do you get to VWP?????
Take the 5 north exit the 57 north/east and go to the Orange Wood exit
(second exit).
Turn right on to Orangewood from the exit off ramp. Turn left at
Eckhoff (first light) and head north east to Collins and turn right.
Turn left on to Elm st (1 block). You should see a VW near the shop,
I don't have the address but I think you can find
Virtual World Parts on the street.

Yarrow is trying make it to VWP
on Thursday but he will probably get to Lompoc Friday morning in his rocco
S.
Shawn, Julie, Dan M, Eric, Katy, Bill C, Hal, Dirk, Tina, Dirk, Wencke,
Doug, Kevin, Kathy, Craig Beaton, and some others
will depart for Lompoc at 7:00 PM Thursday from
VWP. We will have our Talkabouts set on channel 5,5.
We will take Main to Katella and then hook up on to the 5 north.
>From the 5 we take the 101 to Goleta and exit State street. We can
stop at this point for a quick drink before we head up the 154.
We exit the 154 at the 246 and drive through Solvang on our way to Lompoc.
We will stay at the Motel 6 ( motel6.com )in Lompoc so get your
reservations.
You will need to get late check in because we will arrive after 6PM.
If we have time I will take the crew on a wild road on the way up.

(North west crew)
Shannon Fenton will finish his last beer and throw a bunch of Seattle
clothes into a garbage bag. If you are in the NW you may want to
keep your eyes open when driving for a 16v red blur. Murphy from Renton will
be
driving down with a group.

Friday (Mid CAL)
Get up at 7:AM and meet all Lompoc Sciroccos in the Motel parking lot.
Yarrow, Ravr, and Fat Cuban will be driving in. We leave the Motel 6
parking lot at 8AM sharp. We then head off to
breakfast on HWY 1. We will have reservations.
The crew will be departing for The Bay at 9:30am.
Doug takes us on his special road tour (Scirocco twist).
Right after we pass Paso Robles we take HWY 46
West, which runs right into HWY 1. 46 has some great winding parts with
English-countryside hills.  Joe will meet the group at the 76 station on the
46
near the 101 or on the side of the road. We hook up with HWY 1 and head
north.
Dick (415-806-8996), Randy B and TBerk will hang out south of Monterey and
wait for the "road train" to come by with Talkabouts on channel 5,5.
If they kept going south they can't miss the train on a two lane highway.
Dinner will be in Monterey at one of the fast food places.
We want to avoid all the 5pm traffic so we intend to take our time on the
drive up.
If we have dinner in Monterey it will take even more time so we will not get
stuck
in traffic north of Monterey. I would say that the earliest we will
hit Monterey is 3:30 and the latest is 4:30. We may go to Laguna Seca and
or downtown to take a look and then head north at 6:30 or so.
We can use cell phones to finalize times.

After we leave Monterey we will head up HWY 1. This is the Monterey-Santa
Clara
cruise (Http//www.movietours.com/inpact/intro) to the hotel. We take
HWY 1 to the 17 to 880 to 101 and end up at the Santa Clara Marriott
2700 Mission College Blvd.
Santa Clara, CA  95054
Phone: 1-408-988-1500
Fax: 1-408-727-4353

Driving Directions From ND to Marriott Hotel (~4.5miles):
Begin at 2240 De La Cruz Blvd (New Dimensions)  go North for 0.8 miles
Bear right on ramp at sign reading US-101 N to San Francisco" and go South
for 800 feet   0.9
Bear right on US-101,Bayshore Fwy and go West for 1.8 miles
Bear right on ramp and go Northwest for 0.3 miles
Bear right on Great America Pky and go North for 0.3 miles
Turn right on Mission College Blvd and go East for 700 feet.

Nathan Harrison from Atascadero CA is heading up friday afternoon in his MK1
S and the vr6 Corrados. If anybody locally is going up then you are more
than welcome to tag along?

(North west crew)
Shannon Fenton will Leave for ND from Seattle at 4am Friday Morning with
his Talkabout set to channel 1. At noon on Friday he will Stop for beer
at gas station and look for shorts that he left at home.  Delong may be
on the trip with Mr Fenton. 7pm Friday the NW listers will hopefully pull
into the hotel and Begin beer drinking promising not to repeat last year.

The German party team will arrive with the So Cal crew in time
to have a beer with the NW listers. We check in to
the high end hotel with trash bags for luggage and ask for extra towels and
aspirin.
11pm Friday is a scheduled Beer run, Note:Randy B must not be driving. The
Scirocco song should be playing and the crew should be partying German
style. By 3am (now Saturday)
Shannon and the German crew will Finish off last round of beers with Delong
standing sideways and wonder where the hell all the beer went.

Saturday  (Scirocco meet "'rocs in the forest '01" and Performance VW photo
shoot)
10am we all arrive at David G's house in Saratoga, for a great BBQ brunch
and detoxification session. Chris Gonzalez, and Craig with is 1988 SCIROCCO
should be on hand to help flip the French toast on the BBQ.
Hook up with MapQuest.com to get an overview of the area. Saratoga is a
suburb
located west of San Jose(southwest of ND headquarters)and is close to Hwy.
85.
Hwy 85 starts in the North at Hwy 101 by Moffit Field (where the show is)
and reconnects to Hwy. 101 in the south.

To get to David G's house take the "Saratoga Ave." exit off of 85. Head west
toward the mountains) when you turn onto Saratoga Ave.
Next go about 1 mi. (stay in right lane) until you come to Herriman (this is

the x-street) and turn right (you can only turn right BTW).
Herriman may be hard to see since there's no stop there but look for the
school crossing sign. Once on Herriman make your second left on River Ranch
Circle
The address is 13861 River Ranch Circle.
Fun starts between 10-11 AM! (Corrados are welcome)

Everyone who can possible get to the West Coast meet
this year should because you will enjoy yourself. Do not forget that this
is a weekend of fun for Scirocco enthusiasts. The ND show is not the main
event of the weekend for the A1 drivers. Saturday is when we all get the
opportunity
to see the list members in person and just talk about our interests.
Saturday is a party, a reunion, and a chance to test drive a project car. It
is an educational experience, and a chance to just have fun. This is the
"SHOW" for several others including me.  This year I am offering Scirocco
list T shirts for the best first time attendee to our Saturday meet. I will
award a shirt to the best MK1 and MK2 that has never attended the weekend
events. Paint will not be a category that is judged.

After we eat brunch the group will
head out for the spirited cruise through the beautiful Santa Cruz Mountains.
We will hit the twisties via Hwy 9, then up into Skyline Blvd (Hwy35), Hwy
84 over
to San Gregorio, etc. We take pictures for an upcoming issue of Performance
VW featuring the West cost Scirocco meet. They will print as many as 20
pictures and a full feature
story. This is Scirocco only! PVW is a great magazine that
is much better than some of the other trashy rags.
So we need to show the world what is up in Scirocco world.
Join in and smile : ). THAT will be a blast.  Then we'll wind up back
at ND at about 4 for the beginning of their barbecue.

New Dimensions
2240 De La Cruz Blvd.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Order: 800.637.2781
Tech: 408.980.1691
FAX: 408.980.1697

  BBQ will have awards for Sciroccos, food, a detail, and tec talk.
The shop will have a table set up at the BBQ just for show
tickets along with the food barrels so feel free to bring your 5 cans and $5
to get the
tickets or you can just do $10 instead of bringing the food.
Show packets will be on hand for those who will be picking them up instead
of
receiving them in the mail. We'll blow out of there about 7:30 or
thereabouts and retreat to the Marriott for our annual parking lot
drinking/car gazing etc extravaganza..  :D
Ken Weidmann will hook up with train at some point. Arvin from San Diego
will headding up sat am.
to the Marriot. Mike Potter and a few others are leaving from So Cal on
Saturday morning and should be at the ND BBQ. I hope that Glen H  from
Morgan Hill CA in his 1987 scirocco and Ian
join in on the fun.

Be there or be a Honda lover :P

Sunday
ND Show http://www.newdimensions.com/show/2001
Find shade and some A3 playing a good DVD, begin camping.

If you are
not comfortable showing your car in the ND show you just may wish you did at
the end of the weekend.  Please do not forget that this is not just a car
show for displaying polished cars it is a weekend of fun for Scirocco
enthusiasts. In years past we did not put our cars in the Sundays ND show
because parking
was limited and we did not want to take up a space that someone with a
polished showpiece should have taken. This is why we took over the outside
parking lot in 1999 and did not take over the show floor. Tim realized that
the show could grow and participation would grow expediently if he just
increased the show parking. In 2000 we took the opportunity use the larger
space that Tim provided and Scirocco.org had the largest turnout of pre
registered cars at the show. This is a grand accomplishment for a virtual
club. Many of the traditional style clubs were upset about the condition of
the Sciroccos that were shown. Some of our cars were rusty and other were
just nice daily drivers. My car is no polished show car but it still is nice
to see it on display and I am amazed when someone takes a second look at it.
The rusty cars have potential to be great cars some day. Many of us remember
back when our project car started out as a total piece of junk. It is great
to look back and see how far some of the cars have come. This is why is cool
to just show your ride. This year I am offering Scirocco list T shirts for
the best representative of a daily driver car that is entered in the Sunday
show. I will award a shirt to the best DD MK1 and MK2. Paint will not be a
category that is judged. Come out and let us see what you have and you
just may go home with some new clothes.

8:00am to 9:45am Car Show Set Up
Vendor Set Up 7am to 9:30am
10am to 3pm Car Show Hours
10:30am - Opening Announcents - Main Stage
10:45am  Scavenger Hunt Groups Gather at Main Stage Starts, group with the
most items on the list by 12:30 wins! Details: Meet at the stage area at
10:45 to assemble equal groups. Each group will be given a folder with a
list of items they need to find and a bag in which to gather your items. You
may use  you resources that you have brought, anything within walking
distance, and what other car show people have with them. You may not drive,
may not enter any buildings on the grounds, and you may not swap items with
other groups. You will have until 12:30 to return with your finds. Any group
not back by the designated time will be disqualified. The group with the
most items on their list is the winning team and will receive a hardy round
of applause by the crowd as well as a winner's certificate.
11:00 - Prize drawing - main stage - You must be present to win.
11:15 - 11:45 Technical Seminar - TBD
12:00 - Prize Drawing - Main Stage - You must be present to win.
12:30 - Trivia contest while Scavenger hunt teams reassemble their finds.
12:30 Scavenger Hunt Returns  - Main Stage
12:45 RC Car Races - location will be announced at the main stage.
1:00 Prize Drawing - Main Stage - You must be present to win -
1:10pm - 1:30pm - Technical Seminar - TBD
1:30pm - 2:00pm Technical Seminar - TBD
2:00pm - Grand Prize Drawing and trophy awards immediately following - You
must be present to win the grand prize.
3:00pm - Closing announcements
Other technical seminars may be planned as well depending on time allotted
to each and alternative areas to hold them in the hangar.

Dinner after TBD.
We depart and head home.....
Some of us are heading to San Fran Sun eve.

Monday
Shannon Fenton will say Ahhh rain and wind. Home at last. Drink beer. Thank
Kevin. Pass out.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"