Re: Were VW electrical designers on acid?

My guess would be that they'd ground the guages in the cluster at the
engine, as this is where the senders are grounded, providing a reading
that wouldn't be prone to problems with the chassis ground?

Drew

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Ewan Hopkins wrote:

> I was tracing a problem at the weekend where my cluster electrics were going
> haywire when I switched on the headlights - I posted a couple of weeks ago
> looking for hints as to what might be causing it and bad earth seemed to be
> the consensus. I had checked the earth roses at the relay plate and removed
> the cluster looking for bust tracks and then spent a good while tracing the
> diagrams in the Haynes manual. I eventually noticed an earth circuit which
> ran from two points in the cluster and merged at a connector near the relay
> plate before going straight past the earthing roses on the right of the
> plate and went straight to a connection on one of the valve cover studs
> which was only used for these two earths. I followed the wiring at this
> turned out to be the case. _WHY_?!*&£$
> Needless to say, the wire had broken off the connector on the head so I just
> re-routed the circuit from the 2 into 1 connector straight to a spare lug on
> one of the earth roses and it fixed the problem.
> Would have been useful to know about that strange arrangement before I
> started!
>
> Ewan Hopkins
> '85 2L Storm

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca