Re: [TECH-Q] best way to remove stuck bolts on crank pully?

On Fri, 4 May 2001 17:00:51 -0400 Brian C Barrows <ferret100@juno.com>
writes:
> when I replaced the timing belt in my Jetta, the triple square bit
> only served to round out the bolt.  After that, I hammered in a torx
bit,
> which worked.  Hopefully the triple square will work...
>
> B.
>
> '82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz") SOLD
> '85 Jetta
> '87 Porsche 944

I've done that too...

Keep in mind that the appropriate Torx, I forget which one, T-50 maybe,
will only fit
after the 6mm allen bolt that has already been stripped out by the 12
point 8mm bit..

> > I hammer in an 8mm triple square CV joint bit into the 6mm allen,
> > and it almost works every time.
> >
> > If that doesn't work, I get the MAPP gas...

When you hammer the bit into the allen bolt head, you are also shocking
the threads, which helps to break it loose.

As a last resort you can drill the head off, but I save that for last...

I usually end up drilling the heads off on throttle body bolts,
(especially 16V's) and CV bolts.

Btw, the MAPP gas doesn't cost much more than Propane, and it makes
Propane look like a joke!

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"