Euro Bumper/Lights Questions

1. Had my rear bumper apart for a while now to do some cosmetic touchups,
and am still wondering about one part: the metal bar between the two
mounting brackets .. supported by plastic tabs that hook under the arms.
What's it there for? Support maybe? I have no plans of putting it back on -
didn't stop the last idiot from putting a large dent in the center of the
bumper in a small bumper bash.

2. While the car idles and the lights are on they .. flicker is not the
right word .. they "idle" rough- brighten and dim. Is this common? The car
idles smooth, new high output alternator, all belts and pulleys, wires and
relays new. Doesn't worry me, just curious if it's a common thing on the
16V. They shine nice and bright on the go.

Tobias

"Dem steckt doch sicher der Teufel unter der Haube!"
1988 16V Scirocco - Black
Cars gone to new homes:
1987 16V Scirocco - Flash Silver
1986  8V Scirocco - Mars Red