From: "Dave Ewing" <rabbit16v@prodigy.net>
To: "Scirocco List" <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: Re: RANT: 1.8T in Scirocco 16V
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:59:57 -0700

Don't worry Mike, I know what you mean.  Maybe this dude with the turbo Rocc
isn't necessarily a poser, he may just lack mechanical skills, not have a
place to do the work on his car, not have the tools (I suspect a turbo swap
may not be as easy as a 1.8 to 2.0L swap when it comes to tools!!), or
whatever the reason.  I myself believe that when it comes right down to it,
it is MONEY!!!  If you don't have the money to have someone else do the work
for you, and you Really want the work to be done, then you will FIND the
tools, get the knowledge, and find a place to do the work.  This, people, is
me, and a bunch of others out there too!!  You know who you are, you will
move into a smaller older house in the bad part of town just to have that
garage to work on your car!!  Or, you put down the Reader's Digest or Sports
Illustrated and pick up the VW Power or Bentley.  Once you commit to being
your own mechanic, you tend to look at things in a different manner.  And,
one of these things is other people having the money to have someone else do
ALL their maintenance/performance work for them.  Granted, there will be a
day that I will not be able to work on my own car, but until then, I won't
let anyone touch it!!!  (which is another story all in itself--who can you
trust???).  I also believe that working on your own car and adding your own
goodies and special touches gives not only your car character, but you as a
person.  You respect what you have done a lot more if you do it yourself and
you are able to talk about it intelligently (most of the time anyway!!).
So, I side with Mike on this but I wouldn't bunch everyone that has their
mods to their car done for them into a group and call them posers.  The
Turbo Rocc dude just may be one in a million exception, but then again, I
haven't met him so maybe not!!

Dave
Havin' Fun!!!