Exhaust system

Hey List,
  I want to know what you think about a new exhaust system for my car.  I
have a stock set-up at the front and some Tuffy muffler special from the cat
back.  I replaced the front motor mount and now I've got some rattling going
on, so I need to do something soon.  I don't plan on making big changes to
the output of the motor.  What I had in mind has a
4 into 2 manifold,
dual downpipe,
and a new muffler.

I was thinking of going without a cat, but I'm on the fence there because my
car needs to get inspected every year but not all inspection stations look
for a cat.  I talked with Techtonics and the entire system w/o cat would be
under $500.  Anybody got some used manifolds and downpipes for sale?

Kervin Ridgley
86 Scirocco II 8v
92 Golf GL on death row