Wondering about A-Arms and control arms was [: Bilstein Shocks]

I'm Up In Arms! <j/k>

Since I am replacing damn near every thing I was wondering about
replacing the A-arms and such. [See below].

Ian Overholt wrote:

> Check with Mike Potter (west coast - <http://www.parts4vws.com>) or Mark (east coast
> <http://www.germanautoparts.com>).  These guys will give you a good deal.
<snip>
> Also, the recommendation to replace control arm bushings and ball joints is
> a good one.  Since you're significantly stiffening the ride, you need good
> bushings, or you'll beat your old ones to death in a little while.

I already have new bushings. Got em from Potter.  :) DOn't have new ball
joints yet though.  :(

> The
> easiest way to do this is to order new control arms from Potterman; they'll
> have new bushings and ball joints installed when they arrive with your candy
> order.  Plug and play, baby!!
>
> Ian Overholt

I think I am confused about the difference between control arms and what
I call A-arms. There is a metal part shaped like an A and there are rods
that handle the steering.  I think these early fixed kind get replaced
on both sides with the later kind with adjustable ends. Isn't that a
control arm?

How confused am I?

tia,
TBerk